The exact origins of the Marine Corps Forces Pacific Band are unclear. It is believed that sometime before the 1920's Marines not assigned as musicians, but having musical talents, collaborated on their off duty time to rehearse and perform for base dances, social functions and military ceremonies. These activities eventually led to the establishment of the band c. 1918. The band itself is one of the oldest American military units in Hawaii, even older than Marine Corps Forces Pacific itself.
Pictures indicate that the first title of the band was simply "Marine Post Band". The band played for official military ceremonies and provided entertainment for social events. The Post Band spent the next 75 years at Marine Barracks Pearl Harbor. When the Navy established Pearl Harbor as its own, the name of the band changed to "Marine Barracks Band". Other titles over the years include the "Pacific Area Marine Band, Territory of Hawaii" and the "Pacific Area Drum and Bugle Corps".
In September 1944, by order of Lieutenant General H.M. "Howlin' Mad" Smith, the band was renamed the "Fleet Marine Forces Pacific Band" and was attached to Marine Forces Pacific.
In 1993 the band moved from Marine Barracks, Pearl Harbor to its present location at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. Today, as it was in the past, the band is a versatile organization comprised of Marines with a wide range of musical talents. They come from all across America to do what they love - play music and bear the title "United States Marine".